Sunday, December 27, 2009

Do you like making soup? And what are your favourite homemade soup recipes?

I reallly enjoy it. It is it's own art form, coz they never turn out exactly the same unless you are really precise...ooo maybe there's another question???Do you like making soup? And what are your favourite homemade soup recipes?
I'm *never* precise. It takes out the fun, and as you said it makes them turn out differently each time, hence no boredom!





My favourite recipe is: loads of cooked broccoli, through the food processor (or smoothie maker), with a bit of water and loads of cream, salt, pepper, and the secret ingredient: chicken stock! serve with a dollop of creme fraiche in the middle and enjoy. *sigh* It's heavenly. Do you like making soup? And what are your favourite homemade soup recipes?
Soup:- Mushroom %26amp; Vegetable.


1lb Fresh mushrooms -- sliced


2T Butter, divided


1C Carrot -- finely chopped


1C Celery -- finely chopped


1C Onion -- finely chopped


1 clove Garlic -- minced


1 can Condensed beef broth


2C Water


1/4C Tomato paste


2 t Parsley flakes


1 Bay leaf


1/2 t pepper


2T Dry sherry (optional)


Combine vegetables and butter in a large pot. Sautee for 5-7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.


Cover; cook on low for 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are cooked. Stir in sherry during last 15 minutes of cooking. Remove bay leaf before serving.


Mine never seem to turn out the same either.
Yep. I love making soup at home. I still do a lot of ones that I learnt when I used to work in a kitchen. But because I don't make buckets of the stuff, the quantities of ingredients always vary a bit and so the results are always a bit different.





My favourite is leek, potato and onion. Chop these up (say 4 potatoes, 2 leeks and an onion) and fry them gently in a wok - style pan. Cover them in water so it's like mush, boil for a bit and then blend. Then add a bit of milk.Add salt, pepper and a bit of stock. Leave it to reduce till its really nice and thick.





You'll have to try it yourself. Sometimes it's great - sometimes it goes wrong. Like you say, it's a bit of an art form. Everyone has their own way of doing things and their own preferences in taste.





Home made minestrone is really nice too. Bacon, tomato, herbs and some spaghetti too. Yum. Make's you wonder who come's up with such weird and wonderful concoctions.
Take the meat off a cooked knuckle of ham, sweat off some onion and garlic, add the meat, frozen peas and chicken stock (stock cube dissolved in water), season to taste. Simmer till the peas have defrosted, then liquidise. You can drop a spoonful of Greek yoghurt or sour cream on the top of each soup dish. Quick and easy and delicious.
call me old fashioned but i just love a homemade chicken noodle soup.


the egg noodles work well in this recipe.





http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler鈥?/a>





oh, and garbanzo bean soup is another favorite of mine. i like to serve it over yellow rice.





http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1648,1581鈥?/a>
Yes,chicken and vegetable.It must have stock made from the chicken carcass.Simmer the carcass until all goodness is extracted (a couple of hours maybe)strain it off,pick any bits of meat off and add to the stock.Chop up any vegetables you like,I usually have carrots,onions,leeks,celery and red pepper,sometimes a potato or two to thicken it.Add a sprinkle of dried mixed herbs and simmer the lot for about an hour.Delicious.
I agree! I found this product called ';Better than bouillon';, its like bouillon cubes but natural with no msg. They make it in chicken, beef, mushroom, ham,vegetable, even lobster and clam. It makes the best soup. I always saute onion, garlic and any veggies I have, then I make a broth and add the ';main event';. It has never let me down yet. I told my brother about it and he swears by it as I do.
My favorite is Baked Potato Soup. I'm asked to bring it to all of our potlucks at work. Found the recipe on the internet after ordering it in a restaurant. Not the same as regular potato soup. SCRUMPTIOUS!
I make a mean mushroom soup and I love it when people enjoy it.


Mushrooms make you trump though so I'm in a rock and a hard pLace as to whether my soup is a social thing or not. ;o)
One of my favorite soups to make (especially in autumn) is Butternut Squash and Apple Soup. Ina Garten has a terrific recipe.
yes just yesterday i made tomato and red pepper soup with italian herbs so good ,the tomatoes were from my own garden and peppers sourced locally,a little cream added at the end with thick crusty bread Delicious
vegetable, just take all the vegetables you can find, and make a soup - best homegrown.
pasta d/ fagioli with italian bread. i first ate it @ the olive garden . but my family said mine is even better. we are italian.
hi


my favourite is home made pea and ham soup


1 ham shank with cereals lentils and pearl barley peas cooked in slow cooker all night on low heat,accompanied with crusty bread



My mum makes a great spicy parsnip soup


and a really great carrot soup


maybe you should try those
try www.dummychef.com
Leek and potato.
for a cold day in winter i make thick leek and potato served with crusty bread --- brilliant.
Egg drop soup is our favorite home made soup.



tomatoe sauce %26amp; white beans with peas

No comments:

Post a Comment